Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Books

Bought a bunch of books to have while my slow a$$ computer loads the maps.

Just finished The Real Bravo Two Zero by Micheal Asher and Soldier Five by Micheal Coburn.

0304365548.02._PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 184018907X.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Both books deal with the somewhat famous SAS Patrol with the callsign Bravo 2-0.

Asher is a former SAS trooper from the 23 SAS (not 22 SAS) who spent a great deal of time with beouins and speak arabic - and ventured to Iraq following the Gulf War to travel in the tracks of the Bravo 2-0 patrol. It seems his number one motive was to reclaim the lost honour of SAS sergeant Vincent Phillips who froze to death in Iraq - and got blamed by fellow patrol member 'Geordie' aka Chris Ryan for being the one who compromiesd the mission, and being a bit of a cry baby who didn't want to be there at all.

Asher retraces the route taken by the members of B 2-0, finding their LUP (Lying up point), the "tank ditch" where parts of the patrol spent the night freezing in the snow etc and talks to Iraqis who were involved in the kill or capture of the SAS troopers.

In short, the descriptions of the events between Andy MacNab (the patrol leader who wrote the first book about the mission Bravo Two Zero) and Chris Ryan (the patrol medic who wrote The One that Got Away) and the Iraqis differ on many details. It would seem like both MacNab and Ryan "added some spice" into the story, especially the number of Iraqi troops they killed and how heavy contacts they ran into.

Asher on the other hand seems to take the word of bedouins as more or less gospel, i.e. they always tell the truth - well, don't know if I buy that...

Soldier Five was written by Michael Coburn (a psedonym, he is known as Mark in most books about the B 2-0 mission).

Coburn was a New Zeelander volunteer with previous experience from the NZ army and SAS who managed to make selection for the 22 SAS. He takes a critical view of Chris Ryans portrait of Sgt Phillips as being in part untrue. Overall his account of the mission is a lot less "Rambo" than the ones by either MacNab or Ryan and in my opinion a bit more belivable.

Side note:

Andy MacNab (psedonym) - is according to Wikipedia advising DICE on war related issues etc for Battlefield 3.

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Storm of Steel (In Stahlgewittern) by Ernst Jünger

Jünger was a soldier and later officer of the German 73. Fusilier Regiment and fought on the Western Front of the Great War between January 1915 and autumn 1918. He survived the war but was wounded 14 times, and later became an author.

hofmann_storm.jpg

"We jumped across some foxholes and hastily dug trenches.
    Just as I leaped across a better dug trench I felt a sharp
    blow hit my chest. With a scream, through which the
    air of life seemed to flow, I tumbled around and fell
    to the ground. Now I had finally been hit once and
    for all. Already in front of Mory I had felt death's hand
    - this time the grip was firm. When I fell down to the
    bottom of the trench I was convinced it was irrevocably
    over.

Curiously enough this moment is one of the few
    of which I can say truly filled me with joy. I felt much
    surprise that it would all end right here in this place,
    but this surprise was of a very happy sort.
    Then I heard the sound of gunfire grow weaker,
    as if I sank like a rock beneath rushing water."

(excerpt translated and somewhat shortened from the Swedish edition).

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

It Was the War of the Trenches by Jaques Tardi

TardiWar.jpg

Tried to download it but could only find a copy in Spanish - don't know much Spanish so I ponied up the money and bought the English version. This is a sort of comic book about French soldiers on the western front during WWI but it has no main character and no real central story, it bounces around between episodes of mostly French PBI. It is drawn in black and white with a simplistic style but with minute attention to detail.

There is no bullshit heroics or nationalistic chest thumping - things one might expect from a comic.
    The tales told are utterly unforgiving in depicting the grim misery of the trenches.

Link to example, picture's a bit big:

https://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/wp-...renches-12.jpg

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

516r5NyDzkL._SS500_.jpg

The Art of War (Shambhala Pocket Classics)

Sun Tzu (Author), Thomas Cleary (Translator)

According to an old story, a lord of ancient China once asked his physician, a member of a family of healers, which of them was most skilled in the art.

The physician whose reputation was such that his name became synonymous with medical science in China, replied,
    "My eldest brother sees the spirit of sickness and removes it before it takes shape,
    so his name dose not get out of the house.

"My elder brother cures sickness when it is still extremely minute, so his name dose not get out of the neighborhood.

"As for me, i puncture veins,prescribe potions, and massage skin, so from time to time my name gets out and is heard among the lords.

This is a part of the translators intro of in the little book,but dont let its size fool you, for all wise men, write much knowledge in few words.

This is the book that started me on my quest of reading and acquiring more knowledge in my spare time, (and now i am a book worm)

One may be excused for believing that a book whit such a title and perhaps reputation only has something to do whit the conduct of warfare,not to say that such presumption are wrong,
    but the Art of war is so much more.

The paradox in the art of war of which is one of the things you realise when you read the book and digest its contents through reflection,
    is that it is not only warfare it tries to convey,Sun Tzu tries to teach us that war is not always the best if not always the wrong option to take.

Nowhere in the book dose it come clearer to mind than inn chapter 3, page 18, were it reads:

"Therefore those who win every battle are not really skillful, those who render others armies helpless without fighting are the best of all."

All in all The Art of war was an eye opener for me personally, didnt have the same thoughts regarding war as i did before i read that book.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

- T. E. Lawrence (Seven Pillars of Wisdom) 1922,

"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger."

- Confucius

Title
    Senior Poster
    Origin
    Drasis
    BF3
    Drasis
    World Of Tanks
    Drasis
    Planetside 2
    Deuzen
    TS3
    Drasis
    Main game
    War Thunder
    Merit points

Art of War is really a unique piece of art. I read it last spring/summer and found it actually quite interesting.

And for guys who like Tom Clancy I recommend:

200px-TomClancy_RainbowSix.jpg

Title
    =FU= Member
    BF3
    Tommy9591
    Arma 2/Mods
    Tommy
    Arma 3/Mods
    Tommy
    World Of Tanks
    tommygun987
    Squad
    Tommy
    TS3
    Tommy
    Main game
    Squad

I would recommend this serie: Inheritance cycle. Its an fantasy serie about a dragonrider that has to keep the peace and has to kill the enemy oathbreaker Galbatorix.

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Division Nordland i strid

This is a sort of reworked and expanded translation into Swedish of the German author Willhelm Tieke's Tragödie um die Treue, in English published as Tragedy of the Faithful.

The book follows the war service of SS-PzGren Division 11 'Nordland' between 1943-45. Division Nordland is famous for being the unit where a lot of the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish volunteers where concentrated - and there's plenty of focus on these volunteers in the book, although the bulk of the troops in Nordland were not Scandinavians.

They were Germans - mostly ethnic Germans (so called 'Volksdeutsche') from Romania.

The books lacks a good order of battle and is more of an overview of the war service of Div Nordland, especially if compared to the more ambitious German divisional histories.

Title
    =FU= Veteran
    BFBC2
    ACEFIN_1972
    World Of Tanks
    ACE_FIN1972
    Planetside 2
    ACEFIN1972
    TS3
    Ace
    Main game
    WOT
    Merit points

Blog Entries
    Finished reading "Panzer Leader" - a book by Heinz Guderian one of the fathers of modern tank warfare.

a5a200613d764db13b5487061feecb61.image.336x550.jpg

This book paint a picture of old fashioned gentleman who was a brilliant soldier. Throughout his career, he was hindered by people from other arms. The true potential of German armored force was not used in the correct way more than every now and then. Book also paints a picture of Hitler who was limited by his own military skills and his manic behavior much affraid by many but also by his incompetent inner circle by playing their own game of power inside the elite of Third Reich.

Guderian gives many examples where skilled generals or other leaders of army are being defamed by people close to Hitler thus leading to situations where troops are lead by incompetent persons. In the end part of the book he presents his thoughts of leading characters of Reich.

He was dismissed twice by Hitler during the years of WW2. After first dismiss he got later recalled but by then it was all too late. Paragraph after paragraph Guderian describes how former glory of German military power gets weaker when attack to Russia has stopped and turned to slow withdraw. He was put on leave by Hitler the second time it was close to the final collapse, Hitler order Guderian to take six weeks of sick leave to regain his health. Somehow I got the feeling that he was put aside to save his life... don't know, but it feels a bit stranges what happened.

Book was well written and really interesting. Many Thanks to Blaegis for lending the book for me :-)
    Last edited by acefin1972; 04-12-2011 at 14:12.

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Quote Originally Posted by acefin1972 View Post
    Finished reading "Panzer Leader" - a book by Heinz Guderian one of the fathers of modern tank warfare.
    A classic.

Guderian teaches:
    Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern.
    (Roughly; "Hit someone with a fist, not sprawling fingers...")

Title
    =FU= Member
    Origin
    BIC123
    BF3
    BIC123
    World Of Tanks
    BIC
    Planetside 2
    BIC
    TS3
    BIC
    Main game
    Planetside 2
    Merit points

51RHThKGOEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Use-Weapons-Cu.../dp/0316030570

This is one of the best books I have ever read.

The plot can be summed up with this quote:
    "It was two things: it was the need and it was the method. The need was obvious: to defeat what opposed its life. The method was that taking and bending of materials and people to one purpose, the outlook that everything could be used in the fight; that nothing could be excluded, that everything was a weapon, and the ability to handle those weapons, to find them and choose which one to aim and fire; that talent, that ability, that use of weapons."

I once read a book in my grandfathers house. A chapter of this book is about the Leonidas Squadron, a suicide unit that was supposed to fly manned V1 rockets. My grandfather volunteered for Leonidas Squadron.

Fortunately Werner Baumbach, a commander of Leonidas saved my grandfathers life.

After the war, my grandfather and his "Band of Brothers" regularly hold old boy reunions. Even though they truly believed in the war, most, if not all of them, realized it was wrong. I remember my grandmother once told me, at a Leonidas reunion an old man said: "can you believe that, how stupid we were?".

Those were different times..... they grew up and knew nothing else other then dictatorship. Which they believed in...

However, according to my grandfather, a bunch of stories from the Internet I told him about are false information. Always keep that in mind when you read books about WW II.

The Book:

Moskau ruft Heeresgruppe Mitte... Was nicht im Wehrmachtsbericht stand -
    Die Einsätze des geheimen Kampfgeschwaders 200 im Zweiten Weltkrieg.

Translation:
    Moskau calls for Army Group Centre, things not included in armed forces report.
    The secret operations of Battle Wing 200 during WW II.

Battle Wing 200 was a Luftwaffe unit during World War II. The unit was the Luftwaffe's special operations wing that carried out long-distance reconnaissance flights, tested new aircraft designs, and operated captured aircraft.

The book includes reports of The Leonidas Squadron, formally known as 5th Staffel of Kampfgeschwader 200 was a unit which was originally formed to fly the Fieseler Fi 103R (Reichenberg), a manned version of the V-1 flying bomb that was never used in combat because Werner Baumbach, the commander of KG 200, and his superiors considered it an unnecessary waste of life and resources, and preferred to use the Mistel bomb instead.

61IwR-Jsw3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.de/Moskau-Heeresgr.../dp/3763758518

I don't know if this has ever been published in English. Sorry!

OFF-TOPIC:
    The following story I was told by my grandfather, it has nothing to do with the book but I'd like to share it with you.

At the end of the war, my grandfathers unit was separated. He told me, he was on it's way from Hamburg to Berlin to meet up with the remaining parts, in order to prepare for the Russians.

On his way he was arrested by GESTAPO (Secret State Police). He had no ID and GESTAPO didn't buy his story (obviously, members of German special units were pretty afraid of getting caught by the enemy, that's why he had no ID with him).

However, he had a phone number of Hanna Reitsch (famous German female pilot). I can only speculate about the destination of the phone number, but I believe it must have been some high command base camp if not the Hitler's bunker itself.

So, GESTAPO called the number and after talking to somebody from the Luftwaffe high command they let him go.

Before my grandfather became a volunteer for Leonidas, he was a technician for glider plains. Basically a nobody, I have no idea how he got the phone number of Hanna Reitsch.

Until today my grandfather refuses to tell me all details about his life during war. My grandmother once said: "he still thinks, they are going to arrest him tomorrow".
    Last edited by JohnnyFu; 05-12-2011 at 20:38.

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFu View Post
    The following story I was told by my grandfather, it has nothing to do with the book but I'd like to share it with you.
    Thanks!

Many years ago, when I was a happy conscript, my regiment had a small library and one of the books was a history of KG200 - in Swedish. I have never heard of the 'Leonidas' element before though, and I have plenty of hours reading up on WWII history.

Title
    =FU= Veteran
    BFBC2
    ACEFIN_1972
    World Of Tanks
    ACE_FIN1972
    Planetside 2
    ACEFIN1972
    TS3
    Ace
    Main game
    WOT
    Merit points

Blog Entries
    BIC, I have totally forgot to get that book. It was a recommendation from several old friends but I never got that in my hands. Tomorrow, I will order that book. Great tip m8 :-)

Title
    =FU= Member
    Origin
    Blaegis
    BF4
    Blaegis
    Arma 2/Mods
    Blaegis
    World Of Tanks
    Blaegis
    TS3
    Blaegis
    Main game
    WOT
    Merit points

Good military books

Tried to dredge up the best ones I've read:

WWII:

katukov.jpg

Memoirs of the commander of the Soviet 1 GTA, M.E. Katukov, "On the tip of the main strike". I don't think the English translation is widely available, Russian version can be found https://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/katukov/index.html. One of the memorable parts is when he addresses his unit closer to the end of the war and wants to laud the veterans of the first battles of 1941. "Men, who were with 1st brigade at Moscow, step forward. The impeccable ranks of the division part to let three men through. Suddenly my throat seizes and I am unable to continue: are there really that few left?..."

VonLuck.jpg

Hans Von Luck, "Panzer Commander". Von Luck served in Panzertruppe on most theatres of operation of WWII and survived Russian captivity afterwards. I actually like this one more than Guderian's memoirs, as he is capable of taking also himself with a sense of humor.

ratcliffe.jpg

For those interested in SF in general and infamous Bravo 2-0 patrol in particular, IMO the best book on the subject is by SAS's RSM at the time Peter Ratcliffe, "The Eye of the Storm".

Swofford.jpg

1st Gulf War: "Jarhead", by Anthony Swofford. Definitely better than the movie.

Wright.jpg

2nd Gulf War: "Generation Kill", by Evan Wright. 1st Recon Marines on the road to Baghdad, Get Some! Of equal awesomeness as the miniseries (Cheers, BIC!).

Finally, something about the future (and past) face of war: "Corporate Warriors", by P.W. Singer.

-Blaegis

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Quote Originally Posted by Blaegis View Post
    Tried to dredge up the best ones I've read:

WWII:

katukov.jpg

Memoirs of the commander of the Soviet 1 GTA, M.E. Katukov, "On the tip of the main strike". I don't think the English translation is widely available, Russian version can be found https://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/katukov/index.html. One of the memorable parts is when he addresses his unit closer to the end of the war and wants to laud the veterans of the first battles of 1941. "Men, who were with 1st brigade at Moscow, step forward. The impeccable ranks of the division part to let three men through. Suddenly my throat seizes and I am unable to continue: are there really that few left?..."

VonLuck.jpg

Hans Von Luck, "Panzer Commander". Von Luck served in Panzertruppe on most theatres of operation of WWII and survived Russian captivity afterwards. I actually like this one more than Guderian's memoirs, as he is capable of taking also himself with a sense of humor.

ratcliffe.jpg

For those interested in SF in general and infamous Bravo 2-0 patrol in particular, IMO the best book on the subject is by SAS's RSM at the time Peter Ratcliffe, "The Eye of the Storm".

Swofford.jpg

1st Gulf War: "Jarhead", by Anthony Swofford. Definitely better than the movie.

Wright.jpg

2nd Gulf War: "Generation Kill", by Evan Wright. 1st Recon Marines on the road to Baghdad, Get Some! Of equal awesomeness as the miniseries (Cheers, BIC!).

https://www.primetimecrime.com/produc...tewarriors.jpg

Finally, something about the future (and past) face of war: "Corporate Warriors", by P.W. Singer.

-Blaegis

Its nice to see someone else has an interest in Private military corporations(PMC's) and the Military–industrial complex.

I also have "Corporate Warriors" by P.W. Singer.

My interest in Private military corporations/Contractors skyrocketed a couple of years ago when i read in the news about Blackwater Worldwide(Now known as Xe Services) involvement in the Iraq War(2003-2011) especially after what happend in Falujah.

I have some other books on this subject which i find most fascinating and considering my deep love for History this is a chapter in the history of mankind that have and will, play a larger part
    in the future of mankind,from the Condottieri of Renessanse Italy and the Landsknechts of Germany to the Foreign Legions of the Napoleonic era to the modern PMC, it is clear that history repeats itself and that the Modern Mercenary will have a larger role to play in the future conduct of warfare.

For anyone who is interested in this subject i would suggest some other books as well.

"Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq" by James Ashcroft

Image.ashx.jpg

Its a bit romanticised in my opinion but still fun to read.

"Corporate Soldiers and International Security: The Rise of Private Military Companies"
    By:Christop Kinsey
    (Contemporary Security Studies)

Corporate Soldiers.jpg

"Private Armed Forces and Global Security: A Guide to the Issues" By:Juan Carlos Ortiz
    (Contemporary Military, Strategic, and Security Issues)

private-armed-forces-global-security-guide-issues-carlos-ortiz-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

And i would also recommend, The Prince By:Niccolò Machiavelli

Niccol? Machiavelli.jpg
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

- T. E. Lawrence (Seven Pillars of Wisdom) 1922,

"He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger."

- Confucius

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

Recently finished:

Krigare ("Warriors") by Johanne Hildebrandt

It deals with the deployment of the Swedish FS19 to the Mazar-i-Sharif region of Afghanistan 2010. Interesting read, and a tip of the hat to the writer who actually spent a lot of the time in the area.

The message: the Swedish public is not informed of what really goes on - there are some academic intellectual types in Sweden talking about A-stan from a ideological platform without grasping even the basics of the security situation or the situation at large in the country - the Swedish defence is nonchalant when it comes to properly equip and field enough troops sent to Afghanistan for the intended mission - returning troops often feel frustrated because the majority of the people in their surroundings do not understand them - and politicians are unable to explain why exacltly Sweden sends troops to Afghanistan, and people at home do not care.

War by Sebastian Junger

This is the book written by one of the journalists behind Restrepo - the documentary about a number of paratroopers in the Korengal valley, Afghanistan. It deals not with politics or strategy but the actual conditions within the Company stationed at Restrepo. It deals with the psycology of soliders - simplified it goes something this:
    - a soldier must have his basic needs cared for and he must be liked and appriciated by his comrades and this is enough to face the hardships of war. Ideology, just cause, grand principles etc are of no importance in the trenches.

Title
    =FU= Member
    Main game
    N/A
    Merit points

World War Z by Max Brooks.

A sort of horror/SciFi story about what would happen if the world was hit by a zombie plauge.
    The book draws a lot on the style of The Good War by Studs Terkel - i.e. it's a collection of short stories, sometimes it reads a bit like a number of interviews.
    The book is 'America Centric' with a lot of focus on the US, but does also provide a lot of space for other countries - Finland is mentioned twice (though it's then mostly about an American general visiting Finland speaking about his experiences in America during the ten year long Zombie war).

I've never been much of a Zombie fan, given that slow, robotic like Zombies do not seem like such an interesting enemy - but this is still an interesting read. Partly because the author wants to comment on some stuff he dislikes - like the American idea of isolationism.

There's a movie coming out in 2013 based on the book but it will probably not have too much in common with the actual story in the book.

Title
    =FU= Veteran
    Main game
    Squad
    Merit points

been away on a seminar last days. Had time to read Erwin Rommels Infanterie Greift An. Amazing book, cant believe i havnt read it before! This is a classic book on infantry tactics, and rommels experiences from ww1. I highly reccomend it to anyone interested in the subject!

9e13038d50ef737edb8446cae783bd29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanterie_Greift_An
    Last edited by øksa; 16-02-2016 at 03:29.

Title
    =FU= Admin
    Origin
    Kahmy
    BF3
    Kahmy
    BF4
    Kahmy
    Arma 3/Mods
    Kahmy
    World Of Tanks
    Kahmy
    Planetside 2
    Kahmy
    TS3
    Kahmy
    Twitch
    FU_Kahmy
    =FU= Kahmy
    Main game
    ARMA2 PR/MODS
    Merit points

Blog Entries
    Books. So 2015. People had time back then.
    War doesnt decide whos right, just whos left....

I bought this book many years ago written by a german major general that participated in WW2. A fascinating read.

Last edited by PanicTR4; 16-02-2016 at 20:52.